Monday, November 23, 2009

Sex Trafficking

















I want my readers to understand abuse of a child can be in many forms. It's not always black and white, or fit a text book definition.

Shaniya Davis a five year old sold into slavery by her own mother. Sex trafficking has become very popular in the black community. Isn't this a modern day form of slavery. When we hear the word slavery most of our minds goes back to the middle passage. Today, looking back on slavery in Africa, we ponder why didn't someone put a stop to it sooner. I make that point to ask: What are you doing about human trafficking?

We turn a blind eye to these things as if its not our problem to fix. The solution has to start somewhere, why not with you or me. If we are not a part of the solution then we are part of the problem. How many times have you seen a mother verbally abuse a child in public or a father who grabs a little too hard at his son's arm. What did you do?

For most of us that answer is nothing. It's none of our business, that's what we tell ourselves. We never know how a few kind words of concern will affect someone. That father could be on his way home to kill his whole family. That mother maybe on her way to sell her daughter as a sex slave.

In the Christian community, they believe it takes a village to raise a child. Whether you are religious or not you can identify with that statement.

Shaniya suffered abuse by her mother and her attacker. Can you imagine Shaniya wondering: Why do I have to go with this strange man mommy? Can you hear Shaniya screaming as he rapes her and steals her innocence. Picture her face, can you see the amount of pain and fear in her eyes. Now imagine a day or so earlier, you see Shaniya with her mother. They are in a bad area of town at a local drug dealer's house. She maybe dropping Shaniya off, or she maybe purchasing some illegal drugs. You shake your head in disgust and most likely call her a bad parent. However; not once did you think to call yourself a bad person, for not calling the police or Child Protective Services. That day may have been the beginning of an end for Shaniya. You could have saved her.

5 comments:

Henrita said...

I was watching the news and I saw the story on this little girl who her mother sold her. I thought the police were going to save her, the next day when I was watching the news they reported that she was dead. I was distressed; seriously this is a very important blog that you did because it is something that we as a society look out for in our communities.

TamekaNecole said...

Thanks Henrita,

I'm glad you agree as a community we should keep a watchful eye on the things going on around us. I wasn't sure if this peice could have been better. Any suggestions?

Anonymous said...

It's difficult to know when exactly discipline crosses over to abuse. I know from my parent's experience that kids were better behaved in school. Now schools have police to protect other students and teachers from students.

The main point of this article was sex trafficking and the death of the innocent, little girl. I truly feel sorry for what the little girl had to go through. I think our country doesn't take enough action to protect the innocent and victims. Our court system pays more attention to defending the guilty.

Julie P.Q. said...

I saw the small link you provided that discussed how in the African American community this is a growing problem. The highlighting of this concerns me--why do you think it's happening at a higher rate here? Are there other factors to consider? What else could there be that would create the circumstances in which a mother (or family member) would ever consider doing this to a child?

And child abuse happens outside of the family, too. I was just reading about the instances surrounding the Catholic church and the protection of priests who abuse. Why are they protected and allowed to continue? It's horrifying... So I wonder what other social issues are influencing or helping perpetrate child abuse?

Banda said...

This story is very disturbing that people among us are capable of such a crime on innocent children and put them in harms way. This story not only angers me but it also saddens me as well just thinking about any mother offering their innocent 5 year old daughter to a complete stranger, where MOST mothers would die for their child.

I'd have to agree with you about everyone doing their fair part and speaking out when you witness a child being mistreated. However, at what extent do we discipline without being viewed as being an abusive parent? I've seen and know people who spank their children but not to the point that their going to sell them off, beat them, or eventually kill them. We complain about undisciplined kids but yet we can't discipline kids in public because we have to fear the law. Who sets the limits on discipline, the parents or the public?

Personally, I think that this mother had several problems prior to this incident that could have given someone (family member/friend) a hint that the child was in danger. Yet, no one did anything? So there you have it, another reason why I still believe in first trimester abortions. I'd rather have someone abort their child then selling them off to a rapist and killer. This is just my strong opinion.