Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Not So Precious....

Recently I saw the movie Precious. The movie is based on a novel called Push. In this movie "Precious" the main character is verbally and physically abused. Precious mother played by Monique the comedian allowed her boyfriend/husband to have a sexual relationship with her daughter. At the end of the movie Monique explains how the abuse of Precious started when she was a baby.

Monique and her boyfriend would have sex in the same room as Precious. Monique noticed one day that her boyfriend/husband was touching her daughter inappropriately while they were having sex. Monique did nothing to stop this infraction because she desperately wanted his love and attention.Precious became pregnant twice by her mother's husband. The first child was born with Down Syndrome. Precious second child was born healthy. Precious was determined to overcome the demons in her life. Precious bold move came when her mother tried to kill her second child after she came home from the hospital.

This movie I feel did not really showcase the abuse Precious received. I felt it could have been written better. As a spectator, I didn't walk away with anything. Obviously I realized the abuse Precious received but it was all done nonchalantly. Therefore as an audience member I'm sure others walked away from the film with no real meaning or understanding. Overall the movie wasn’t effective, rather boring and a whole lot of randomization. I felt like I was putting a puzzle together, some pieces just didn’t fit.

In one scene Monique was masturbating and couldn't climax and she called Precious in the room to assist her. They don't actually show Precious assisting her mother but it's implied. I’m sure this scene would have been too graphic to film, however, it was needed.

I didn't like the movie. I felt the directors could have gone further and deeper into the situation. It wasn't an eye opener for me. It's evident they wanted to go with the raw emotions of the characters, since most of the actresses were not allowed to wear makeup. Unfortunately the movie didn't deliver.

2 comments:

Julie P.Q. said...

This is a clear review of the abuse in the movie Precious. But go further: was the movie effective? Did it relay true issues of abuse (I think it did--what do you think?). Was it raw, melodramatic, or understated? Give us your thoughts in relation to what you saw here. Analyze and process it for your readers.

Watch plural/possessives and give plenty more details...

Marci Jones said...

I've heard mixed reviews about this movie. I've had a couple of relatives say it didn't live up to their expectations. Others said it was a great movie and it made them cry and what I found interesting from all the commenst was that they didn't like the ending. I think (and I haven't seen the movie) the movie will give insight into how abuse can affect you physically and mentally.

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie.